The goal of this module is to provide you with an outline of the Canadian import food sector and its regulatory environment.
This goal will be achieved by introducing you to the regulations that ensure a safe food supply for Canadians. It will also provide information on the specific requirements that must be met in order to import specific food items, how foods must be labelled, and penalties that can apply for non-compliance.
The following topics are covered in this module:
- Introduction to the Global Food System
- Canada’s Food Regulators
- CFIA and the Safe Food for Canadians Act and Regulations
- Inspections and Food Safety
- Initial Compliance Considerations When Importing Food
- The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations - Meat
- The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations - Fish
- The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations - Dairy
- The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations - Fruits and Vegetables
- The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations - Other Foods
- U.S. Food Importation Regulations
Enrolment in the CTCS modules is available to CTCS Program participants and any person wishing to advance their knowledge on specific subjects of interest. You may enrol in a CTCS module at any time and have 180 days to complete a module.
The fee for each CTCS module is CDN$395 plus applicable taxes.
There is a CDN$100 administrative fee if the CSCB receives written notice of withdrawal from a CTCS module prior to accessing the course materials. A refund of the tuition fees, minus a CDN$100 administrative fee per module will be issued. Students may withdraw from a CTCS module at any time; however, there will be no refund of tuition fees when notice of withdrawal is received after the course has been started.
If you're enrolled in the CTCS Program of Study to gain the CTCS designation and are purchasing a bundle, please review the withdrawal policy for specific bundles in the Academic Policy, Conditions and Fees.
Academic Policy and Conditions
Further details about the CTCS modules are available in the Academic Policy, Conditions and Fees.