Skip to main content

Gordie Howe International Bridge opening delayed, bridge official says

Canada and the United States have agreed to delay the opening of the Gordie Howe International Bridge, according to the interim chief executive 0fficer and chief legal officer of the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA).

Chuck Andary's statement was posted to the bridge's website Thursday morning.

“The Gordie Howe International Bridge will be a vital economic link for Canada and the United States," he said.

"As we work towards an opening date, we are taking a collaborative approach, reflecting our shared ambition for this trade corridor.

"Canada and the United States have agreed to delay the opening of the bridge, taking the necessary time to resolve any outstanding issues. We appreciate the efforts of workers on both sides of the border to get the bridge to its current state of readiness.”

Sources had previously told CBC a ribbon-cutting was planned for the bridge for Friday...

This was excerpted from the 11 June 2026 edition of CBC News.

Topic(s)

Freight & Transport

Information source

Canadian News Channel
Disclaimer

The foregoing information is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended as, nor should it be considered, professional advice or a substitute for conducting your own thorough research and review. Before making any decisions or taking any action based on the information provided, you should conduct your own independent investigation and/or seek professional advice from a qualified expert in the relevant field. The CSCB disclaims all liability for actions taken or not taken based on the information provided.